In the state of Washington, custodial parents are required to give notice to a non-custodial parent if they intend to move to a new location with the minor children. After notice has been provided, the non-custodial parent has 30 days to object. The objection must be filed with the court and served to the custodial parent.

If you are a custodial parent thinking about a move, it is critical that you follow the law precisely, because a failure to provide adequate notice could result in severe sanctions. In the most extreme cases, a court has the authority to go so far as to order a change of custody.

Likewise, if you are a noncustodial parent, you have a 30 day window to take action. A failure to object in that period could be held against you and may limit or void your options.

Contact a Family Law Attorney to Protect Your Rights

If you are involved in a child relocation dispute, contact a family law attorney as soon as possible to receive advise and counsel on the appropriate steps you should take to protect your rights. Early preparation is always the safest bet to protecting your rights, so it is helpful if you contact an attorney as soon as possible in the process.