There are many ways to prepare for marriage, legally and non-legally.
Some things one can do to prepare for marriage:
- Change "me" to "we"
- Take premarital classes or a course
- Attend couples counseling with a licensed therapist
- Start adjusting and planning your finances, or speak with a financial advisor
- Talk about children or the lack of children
- Practice communication styles, such as the Four Horsemen of Communication
- Keep an open mind about the expectations of marriage
- Discuss boundaries about wants and needs
- Build your friendship as friends and as partners
Some things one can do to prepare for marriage on the legal side of things: